Dermal fillers are popular aesthetic treatments for individuals looking to enhance their natural beauty and achieve a more youthful appearance. Dermal fillers can add volume to your cheeks, plump up thinning lips or smooth out smile lines in an instantaneous, non-surgical way.
What exactly are dermal fillers, and how do they work?
Dermal fillers are injectable substances of hyaluronic acid – a naturally occuring substance in the body – that is used to add volume and fullness to the skin. Fillers work by filling in the areas of the face, hands and body that have lost volume due to aging, sun damage, trauma or other factors. There are a wide variety of dermal fillers available, each made with varying degrees of thickness, each one designed and chosen carefully to address specific conditions.
Some of the most popular dermal fillers include:
- Restylane Fillers: Made with hyaluronic acid, a substance that occurs naturally in the body, Restylane products are a popular choice for those looking to add volume to their lips, smooth out wrinkles and fine lines, or plump up their cheeks.
- Radiesse: Radiesse is made uniquely with calcium-based microspheres suspended in a water-based gel. It is often used to add volume to the cheeks, jawline, and hands, and can also help to smooth out wrinkles and fine lines.
- Sculptra: More specifically considered to be a biostimulator than a filler, Sculptra is made with poly-L-lactic acid, a synthetic material that stimulates the production of collagen. This protein helps to keep the skin looking youthful and full. Sculptra is often used to add volume to the cheeks and jawline, and can also help to smooth out wrinkles and fine lines via the body’s own natural production of collagen. Sculptra results may take longer to appear, but their results outlast all fillers.
Benefits of Dermal Fillers:
- Non-invasive: Dermal fillers are injected into the skin using a fine needle or a cannula (thin needle with a flexible tube), making them a non-invasive alternative to surgery.
- Immediate results: You’ll see some instantaneous results of your dermal filler injections, with fully visible results within a week (in most cases).
- Long-lasting: The effects of dermal fillers can last for several months, depending on the type of filler used and the area being treated.
- Natural-looking: Dermal fillers are designed to enhance your natural features, not change them. When done correctly, the results of dermal filler treatment look natural and subtle.
Risks of Dermal Fillers:
Of course, as with any medical procedure, there are risks associated with dermal fillers.
- Infection: As with any injection, there is a risk of infection, which is rare, and can be minimized by choosing a reputable practitioner and following all aftercare instructions.
- Allergic reactions: Although rare, some people may have an allergic reaction to the material used in dermal fillers. Symptoms may include rash, itching, swelling, and difficulty breathing. Please disclose your allergies and medical conditions to your injector prior to any treatment.
- Nerve damage: In rare cases, when injected into the wrong area of the face or body, dermal fillers may cause nerve damage, leading to numbness or tingling in the treated area. Please seek an experienced injector, like those at Enliven Aesthetics, with a trustworthy reputation for knowledge of the anatomy of the areas injected.
- Unsatisfactory results: While most people are happy with the results of their dermal filler treatment, in some cases, the results may not be what they expected. This can be due to a variety of factors, including the type of filler used, the technique of the practitioner, the individual’s unique preferences, as well as the individual’s anatomy and healing process. If the patient is unhappy with the results of their dermal filler treatment, it is important to speak with their practitioner to discuss the available options, such as dissolving the filler or adjusting future treatments.
Most people find dermal filler treatments to be relatively painless, as a local anesthetic is often used in the filler solution to numb the injection site at time of treatment. Some people may experience mild discomfort or a feeling of pressure during the injection, but this should subside quickly. The injectors at Enliven Aesthetics have a variety of additional tips and tricks to help minimize the pain during the treatment. Just ask them.
The length of time that dermal fillers last can vary, depending on the type of filler used and the area being treated. For most, Restylane dermal fillers last for three to six months, with Radiesse and Sculptra lasting up to a year or more.
If you are unhappy with the results of your dermal filler treatment, it is possible to ‘undo’ the effects. This can be done by injecting an enzyme medication called hyaluronidase, which breaks down the filler material. It is important to speak with your practitioner if you are considering having your dermal fillers reversed. Furthermore, it’s also important to know that most fillers will dissolve over time on their own; very few fillers are truly permanent.
There are no age restrictions for dermal fillers, as they can be used to treat a wide range of concerns, from wrinkles and fine lines to loss of volume in the cheeks and lips. However, it is important to keep in mind that dermal fillers are not a substitute for good skincare and a healthy lifestyle, and may not be suitable for everyone.
Dermal fillers can be a great way to enhance your natural beauty and achieve a more youthful appearance. They are a non-invasive, multiuse, and long-lasting treatment with immediate results. As with any medical procedure, there are some risks and potential side effects to consider, but these can be minimized by choosing a reputable practitioner and following proper pre and post care instructions. If you’re considering dermal fillers, it is important to do your research and consult with a qualified practitioner to determine the best treatment plan for you.
And a special spotlight on Restylane Fillers
Our most popular products at Enliven Aesthetics include Restylane fillers! Made by Galderma, a leading manufacturer of aesthetic and medical skin care products, Restylane fillers are a popular choice for those looking to smooth out wrinkles, plump up thinning lips, or add volume to their cheeks.
- Long-lasting results: Restylane fillers are made with hyaluronic acid, a substance that occurs naturally in the body. This helps to ensure that the results of your treatment look natural and last for several months, depending on the type of filler and the area being treated.
- Non-invasive: Restylane fillers are injected into the skin using a fine needle, making them a non-surgical option for those looking to enhance their appearance.
- Safe and effective: Restylane fillers have been used by millions of people worldwide, and have a proven track record of safety and effectiveness.
- Customizable: With a variety of different types of Restylane fillers available, your practitioner can tailor your treatment to meet your specific needs and goals.
But don’t just take our word for it! Here’s what others say after receiving their Restylane filler injections:
“I was a little nervous about getting fillers for the first time, but my injector put me at ease and the whole process was quick and painless. I love the results, and my nose and lips look prettier and more symmetric than they have since my car accident. I’m definitely considering repeating these treatments in the future.”
“I’ve been self-conscious about my thin lips for years, but Restylane Kysse has completely boosted my confidence. My lips are now so naturally plump, and the effects have lasted for months. I’ve already recommended Bonnie and Enliven Aesthetics to all of my friends!”
There are more than six different types of Restylane fillers available, each with unique characteristics that help them work best in specific areas of the face or to address specific types of skin. Here are the most popular ones offered at Enliven Aesthetics:
- Restylane-L: This is the original Restylane formula that was designed to add volume and smooth out moderate to severe wrinkles and folds, such as the lines running from the nose to the corners of the mouth, also known as the nasolabial folds.
- Restylane Kysse: This filler is specifically formulated for the lips and is used to add volume and definition to the lips, as well as smooth out fine lines around the mouth.
- Restylane Lyft: This filler is designed to add volume to the mid-face and is often used to plump up the cheeks and smooth out wrinkles and folds in the lower face.
- Restylane Refyne: This filler is formulated with XpresHAn Technology, which allows for more natural-looking results and greater flexibility when smiling or making facial expressions. It is used to smooth out moderate to severe wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds and marionette lines (lines running from the corners of the mouth to the jawline).
- Restylane Defyne: Similar to Restylane Refyne, this filler is also formulated with XpresHAn Technology and is used to smooth out moderate to severe wrinkles and folds. However, it is specifically designed for deeper wrinkles and folds and provides a greater degree of lift and support.
At Enliven Aesthetics, we love Restylane fillers because they are formulated from hyaluronic acid, a substance that occurs naturally in the body, so fillers are almost considered a natural treatment. Also, we love that fillers are injected into the skin using a fine needle, so your downtime is very minimal. When you come for your first appointment, our injectors will be able to recommend the best type of Restylane filler for you, considering your goals and specific skin features in light of their experience.
Prices vary depending on multiple factors, including:
- The type of filler used: Different brands and types of fillers have different costs.
- The area being treated: Treating larger areas or multiple areas of the face and body will usually cost more than treating smaller areas.
- The practitioner performing the treatment: The cost of dermal fillers can vary depending on the practitioner’s experience and training, as well as the location of their practice.
- The number of treatments needed: Some people may need more than one treatment to achieve the desired results, which can increase the overall cost.
On average, the cost of dermal fillers can range from $500 to $2,000 or more per treatment, depending on the factors listed above. It’s also good to note that dermal filler injections are considered to be cosmetic procedures and are generally not covered by health insurance.
While price is an important factor in decision-making, our clients tell us that they only trust a very select few individuals to treat their face, and that trust is what keeps them returning to Enliven Aesthetics year after year. Our clients are treated like VIPs at Enliven Aesthetics: their treatments are uniquely customized for them; they are given all the time they need to explain their concerns, and they are only treated by the most qualified and skilled of injectors with the experience and training to minimize the risk of complications and ensure the best possible results.
If you’re ready to give fillers a try, you may wish to start with a complimentary in office consultation to determine the best treatment plan for you. You may wish to contact us through our online booking link below to schedule your visit here:
Do you need more information?
We would love to hear from you! If you have any questions about a treatment, or if you would like more information, feel free to fill out the form below, or text us at, (858) 609-0866.