What’s the Difference between a Lip Flip vs Lip Fillers?
By Enliven Aesthetics. Posted February 24, 2022
Did you know that our lips lose volume and definition as we age? Or maybe you’ve already noticed that the fine lines of your lips are becoming more pronounced and easier to spot.
One solution to try is lip fillers, but maybe you’re looking for an alternate option, thinking ‘I already like the size of my lips,’ or ‘I’m not sure I’m ready to commit to lip fillers.’
Well, we’ve got the answer for you: the “lip flip.”
What is the lip flip, and is it right for you?
Let’s walk you through the key differences between lip fillers and lip flips before you consider which aesthetic treatment might be the right fit for you and your lips.
But first, what are lip fillers?
Lip fillers, such as Restylane®️ and Juvederm®️, work to smooth wrinkles and fine lines while adding volume to the face. Both types of fillers contain hyaluronic acid, which is found naturally in the body. When these fillers are injected into the lips, they add definition and volume while creating poutier, softer lips.
So then, what’s the lip flip?
The lip flip is a relatively new aesthetic treatment that uses Botox®️ or Dysport®️. Unlike fillers, Botox®️ and Dysport®️ are neuromodulators that relax muscles of the target area. In the case of a lip flip, these neuromodulators work to relax the muscles on the upper lip (near the cupid’s bow and corners of the mouth), which then cause the upper lip to “flip” slightly upward. This effect gives the illusion of a fuller lip without changing the size.
We do want to emphasize that this treatment is not FDA approved and must be performed by an experienced aesthetic provider that you trust.
Why should I get the lip flip instead of lip fillers?
Lip flips are most ideal for the following reasons/candidates:
- Treat “gummy” smiles – lip flips have been shown to reduce the appearance of the gums when you smile
- Perfect for experimentation – lip flips are a great way to introduce you to lip enhancements and aesthetic treatments
- Temporary results – unlike lip fillers, lip flips give temporary results that only last 3-4 months
- More subtlety – lip flips do not add any volume, so the size of your lips will not change
Why should I get lip fillers instead of a lip flip?
Lip fillers are most ideal for the following reasons/candidates:
- Not so subtle – lip fillers are better suited for less subtle results since they can add volume and change the size of your lips. We would like to remind you that lip fillers can still look very natural!
- Longer results – lip fillers typically last longer than lip flips, especially if you consider using Restylane®️ Kysse™️ which can last up to one year.
So, which treatment should I get?
At the end of the day, the right treatment depends on the person. To make the best decision for you, we suggest that you make a consultation with an aesthetic expert – like Enliven Aesthetics!
The best news is that we offer complimentary consultations with our advanced aesthetic injectors, so book now to learn more about which treatment is the right fit for you.
Have a Question?
If you have any questions about a treatment, or would like more information, feel free to fill out the form below, or call us at, (858) 609-0866 during our business hours to speak directly to a representative.